Spicy and Sweet Frickles
Posted on November 19, 2018
Frickles AKA: Fridge Pickles (because I’m busy and hip and make up my own slang)
These are the perfect pickle for snacking, adding to a salad, or to garnish a Bloody Mary with!
The first time I made these was for the girls in my book club and they nearly disappeared before I could try them myself! This is an easy recipe to tweak if you like your pickles a little sweeter or a little spicier than I do (they will get spicier the longer they marinate!). I use okra, cucumbers, and french green beans because they’re my favorite, but any veggies would be great. Try this recipe with carrots, cauliflower, or peppers and let me know what you think! They’re easy, they’re delicious, and they’re impressive so give these freaking frickles a try already!
Spicy Sweet Fridge Pickles (AKA: Frickles)
Crunchy and Sweet Pickles with a Kick! Perfect for snacking or dressing up your Bloody Mary!
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Whole Peppercorns
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 cloves garlic – sliced
- A handful of fresh dill
- 6 Red Thai Chilis
- 2 Persian Cucumbers
- A handful of French Green Beans
- 15(ish) Okras – depending on size!
- Slice Cucumbers into spears and coarsely chop the Thai Chilis, set aside
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add Vinegar, Salt, Peppercorns, and Sugar. Stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Bring mixture back to a boil. Turn down the heat and and let simmer covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Assemble your veggies in your jars (I used two 1 quart mason jars). Don’t pack too tightly, you need room for the brine and seasonings!
- Add garlic slices, Thai Chilis, and Fresh Dill to each jar.
- Pour Brine over the veggies and cover with air-tight lid.
- The pickles will be ready to eat in 2-3 days and will keep for about 4-6 weeks in the fridge! Enjoy!